Monday, December 8, 2008

Word to Live By

I have found that in my life, my faith has gone through many phases and the older I become, the more in tune I tend to be with myself spiritually. I wasn't always so outspoken about my faith, but rather one to just quietly attend church, sit toward the back, pay my offering, collect the kids and head home. But, somewhere after the attacks on 9/11, I found myself and found Christ waiting for me.
I didn't just say I was going to change.
I changed.
I became involved in my church, volunteering any way and everywhere I could. At first, I think I was just trying to replace the hole in my heart that I felt after realizing the massive flaws in humanity, but somewhere in my volunteering and teaching at church, a real internal change came over me.
I can almost mark the day it happened, or atleast the event. I had become the youth leader in our church and was having a youth group meeting with a rowdy bunch of 4th, 5th and 6th graders (as well as all of my children). Myself and the other leaders decided to show a movie to the kids called Facing The Giants. None of us had ever seen it before, but we had heard great reviews from the local Christian book store.
So, we sat down to watch it with the kids, a room full of them, munching away on popcorn, & the leaders trying to hush them so we could all hear... and suddenly, the room was quiet.
For the entire movie.
Silence.
We were captured in this story.
Moved.
The entire room full of adults and kids were inspired.
When the movie ended, everyone was crying, even 13 year old boys. We all openly wept and talked and prayed on what we had just seen and felt.
The message in the movie...Nothing is impossible with God.
Those 5 words have become the words I live by.
If ever I am feeling doubtful about anything life throws my way, I know I can open the bible to Luke and find comfort.
And, if ever my kids see me or one of their siblings faltering in faith, we watch Facing the Giants together and it binds us together through inspiration & knowing that truly nothing is impossible with God.

4 comments:

Renata said...

It sounds like a great movie. I've seen it for sale in our local christian bookstore - I'll have to have a closer look next time. Thanks for sharing.

Renee said...

I just found your blog via Victoria who gave you a scibbler award. I am fascinated with your Is Eight Enough blog and find kinship with you in the fact that we have seven children and 5 are adopted of different races and some with special challenges. They are all grown now and we have twice as many grandchildren. It brought tears to my eyes to watch your video...and now here, I find a connection with your writings about your faith. My writing also is intertwined with my faith..
God bless you
I look forward to reading more!
Renee

mommytoalot said...

I am very happy to be apart of this blog.
Sounds like a very inspirational movie.

Anonymous said...

What a great testimony and, I agree, a powerful movie. This is a wonderful idea for a blog and I look forward to reading it.

Blessings to you!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin